Art Schwarzwaelder was born in Pittsburgh in 1953. A first-generation American, Art was raised in a family which emphasized the importance of education and hard work. He grew up in the South Hills of Pittsburgh (Scott Township), and held a variety of jobs throughout his years as a high school student.
Art graduated as Valedictorian of the Class of 1971 from Chartiers Valley High School. He was then accepted to Dartmouth College, where he was awarded a Bachelor of Arts Degree, Summa Cum Laude, and invited to join the academic honorary society, Phi Beta Kappa. Art pursued his legal education at the University Of Virginia School Of Law, where he earned a Juris Doctorate in 1978. He was admitted to the Bar of Pennsylvania that same year.
For many years through the present, Art has solely represented victims of negligence, with a primary focus on plaintiff's medical malpractice. Many of his clients have received substantial monetary recoveries. These include Multimillion Dollar Recoveries.
In the field of medical malpractice law, Art has filed numerous cases on behalf of injured clients and families against hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers. These cases involve a wide variety of errors committed by physicians practicing in many different specialties, as well as nurses, laboratory technicians, and other medical personnel.
Art's extensive litigation experience in the complex area of medical malpractice has provided him with the knowledge and skills to successfully represent many clients in other areas of law including motor vehicle/tractor trailer accidents, defective drugs and medical devices, products liability, premises liability/falls, and financial or business disputes.
HONORS AND AWARDS INCLUDE:
- For over 25 years, recipient of the highest AV rating for ability and ethics issued by Martindale Hubbell, the nationally recognized authority on attorney ratings.
- In 2013, selected as Pittsburgh Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America in the area of Plaintiffs Medical Malpractice Law.
- Repeated listings in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America under the category of Plaintiffs Medical Malpractice Law.
- In 2004, invited to join the American College of Trial Lawyers. This prestigious national organization accepts no more than 1% of the lawyers in any state by invitation only.
- Selection to the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County. This organization has a limited membership of 250 active trial lawyers equally divided between the plaintiffs and defense bar.
Art has also been invited as a speaker at legal education programs focusing on medical malpractice and civil litigation sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Pennsylvania Association of Justice, Allegheny County Bar Association, the Allegheny County Medical Society, and the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
Married for nearly 30 years to Caroline Schwarzwaelder, Caroline and Art have raised three children.
For more information about the other members of the Firm, click on Our Firm.
Schwarzwaelder Law Offices, P.C. is located in the center of Downtown Pittsburgh